Re: [vox-tech] dict!!

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] dict!!
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@diracMAPS.org>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:55:34 -0700

begin: Ajay <lugod@os2man.cjb.net> quote
> hey guys,

hey ajay!

>       I just found this program, and I'm one step closer from having 0 web
> dependance.  (Some simple tasks, to me, the web is too cumbersome for.  Once
> I can figure out how to do a whois lookup of an IP, I'll be set. ;)

% whois -h arin.net 216.115.108.245
GeoCities (NETBLK-NETBLK-GEO-1)
   3420 Central Expressway
   Santa Clara, CA 95051
   US

   Netname: NETBLK-GEO-1
   Netblock: 216.115.96.0 - 216.115.111.255
   Maintainer: GCIT

   Coordinator:
      GeoCities  (AD256-ORG-ARIN)  geodnsadmin@YAHOO-INC.COM
      (408) 530-5062

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   NS1.YAHOO.COM                204.71.200.33
   NS5.DCX.YAHOO.COM            216.32.74.10
   (snip)

> 'apt-get install dict' in Debian, I don't have a URL for it otherwise, other
> than something I noticed in the doc dir: ftp.dict.org/pub/dict
>
> This is a client program, it connects to a dictd, a dictionary server (!!)
> that's running either locally or on the internet somewhere, and gives you
> the results from several different sources.  (Depending on what the server
> is configured to return.)
>
> Here's an example of someone running a dictd they've made available..
>
>   http://www.kanga.nu/dict/?query_term=screed&database=*&strategy=exact
>
> (he's from svlug, which reminds me, I completely forgot about the mtg
> (again) d'oh!)

it was a really good talk.  i was really impressed with what borland was
pushing, although i would prolly wait until the C++ version comes out.

we had a huge meeting -- 60 people or so?  there were a couple of people who
weren't there that i would've thought would be interested in the topic,
and a couple of people who showed up that i was pleasantly surprised to see.

> dictionary.com was 'ok' while I used it, but no more for me.  (Well.. maybe I
> could use it thesaurus feature, but I've only used it once or twice in my
> life.. and I guess that would be thesaurus.com or something. ;)

heh.  yeah, i agree.  but it's not THAT painful in lynx.

here's (imho) the most useful feature of dict.  i keep forgetting whether
there are 1 or 2 "r"'s and "s"'s in the word embarrass:

% dict embarass
No definitions found for "embarass", perhaps you mean:
web1913:  Embarrass
wn:  embarrass
gazetteer:  Embarrass

of course, you have to be in the right ballpark:

% dict embaras
No definitions found for "embaras"

pete

ps- mark, i didn't want to post a 1-liner, but your post on the calendar
conversion and cal was really cool!