Re: [vox-tech] Passing the reference to a hash - in perl

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 05:47:46PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Howdy again,
>
> I'm getting:
> Can't use string ("1") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at
> /home/jstrauss/Perllib/Common.pm line 76.
>
> essentially from my main program I'm:
>
> my %hash;
> getHostInfo(\%hash);
>

> then from Common.pm I have:
>
> sub getHostInfo {
>    my $hostref = @_;

Typical "list context" vs. "scalar context" thing.

When you assign a list to a scalar, Perl evaluates the list in scalar
context, which converts the list to a scalar whose value is the number
of elements in the list ('1', in your case).

Either of:
    my ($hostref) = @_;  # assigning to a list
or
    my $hostref = shift; # assigning from a scalar
should do nicely.

>    $hostref->{IP} = '192.168.0.1';
> }
>
> I'm passing a reference to a hash, then in my subroutine I'm dereferencing
> it and assigning it, what the heck?
> Jay
>
> Jay Strauss
> jjstrauss@yahoo.com