Re: [vox-tech] mailing lists

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 09:09:56PM -0700, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> any suggestions on what to use to set up a simple mailing list?
> I can only think of majordomo, but i'd like to do the vox-esque thing of
> automagically putting '[list]' in the subject.

I like smartlist personally. Smartlist is ``an intelligent list processor'',
which seems to mean that the nobheads who send subscribe messages to the
wrong list get taken care of anyway. Smartlist makes use of Procmail, so
Procmail is a dependancy. I don't know offhand how to prefix the subject with
an identifier, but in principle Smartlist can do anything that
Procmail/formail can do, which is a lot.

I've heard a lot of good things about mailman, but I prefer not to use one
big intgrated program. It's easy enough to set up web archiving using WMF or
MHonArc[1], and I'm not wild about web interfaces. To easy his own :-).