Re: [vox-tech] Sound Card Set-up

Arguements may be handed to modprobe when inserting modules to tell them
what resources the stated hardware is using. (irq=, io= dma= etc.)

Also, if using a PnP ISA sound card, you may want to check out man pages
for pnpdump and isapnp. Many awe based sound cards will also need extra
modules to allow for wavetable support. (module awe_wave.o ?) (Hold off on
using pnpdump, isapnp and mods to /etc/isapnp.conf until the end as it can
take some time, and your mention of the same card's prior use with Suse
suggests that won't be needed.)

rmmod all of the sound modules you have inserted.

then, based on the settings you provided an assuming you have midi at
0x330, you could try:

# modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=10 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

And then see what lsmod shows if the above is successful.

Then
# cat /proc/interrupts

Do you see an irq with sound, or sb or something audio related attached to
it?

if so, also check
# cat /proc/ioports

to see if the expected io parts are also mapped to an audio reference.

If both of the above seem to work, check out
# cat /dev/sndstat

and see what it says. (should be char special dev major 14, minor 6)
(example ls -l of sndstat:)
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   6 Sep  4  2000 /dev/sndstat

"cat" output should tell you about resources in use by the sound device.

If the above does as desired, but catting stuff to /dev/audio proves
fruitless (I like to test by catting a kernel image to /dev/audio, but
some people do nt like the music of a kernel), try starting up a mixer,
and increase the volume *much* higher for the digital audia and the master
volume control. (Some sound cards will initialize in linux with zero
volume, but still work. You don't actually know they are working from your
testing until you turn up the volume. Also, reinitialization of the sound
card can reset these same cards to volume of zero forcing your to launch a
mixer each time. alsa can store mixer settings - I think, but I found
creating a startup script that uses "nmixer" with command line arguements
for each mixer-bar value to work for me.)

If you find errors with the modprobe and/or the other items, and you know
you have a PnP card, then you may need to examine using the pnpdump to
create an /etc/isapnp.conf file, hand edit it, and then enable isapnp at
start.

Please let us know how it goes; I like puzzles.

-ME