Re: [vox-tech] LaTeX font question

begin: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> quote
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:40:56PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > it's certainly easy enough to double all dimensions, but keeping the margins
> > the same is ... not standard.
> >
> > without searching books, my guess would be to magnify the output (you can do
> > this with the magstep primitive, for instance) and use the geometry package
> > to manually set the margins.
>
> Aiee! Aas far as I can tell, magstep need to be specified when declaring the
> font, so this approach would require manually specifying all fond sizes.

no way.

"\magnification = 1200"  magnifies the document by 20% (ie 1.2 times the
normal size).  you can specify magsteps in step of .2, so:

\magnification = \magstep1   enlarge by 20%
\magnification = \magstep2   enlarge by 40%
\magnification = \magstep3   enlarge by 60%

etc.  you're guarenteed to have fonts at these sizes, although they may not
look as nice as they normally do.

you can also specify lengths in terms of true sizes, so suppose in your
preamble you put

	\magnification = 2000

to double all sizes in your document.  normally, the tag

	\vskip.5cm

will actually produce 1cm of vertical space.  if you want to specify
.5cm absolutely, regardless of magnification, you could use

	\vskip.5truecm

the unit "truecm" (trueinch, truepico, etc) being the size at any
magnification.

note, i'm using my tex roots here.  i'm sure latex does it differently, but
since i don't normally magnify stuff, i don't know how latex does it.

do you not have the lamport book?

pete