Re: [vox-tech] Linux for the Palm

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 03:28:11PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Not to be a rabble rouser but,
>
> I don't get the point of running linux on a PDA (Palm).

Very valid question.  Just as with regular desktop PCs, some people
have no reason to switch to Linux.

However...

> What's wrong with PalmOS.

Well, a lot of it has to do with its age, I think.  Systems are getting
more powerful, but for legacy needs, I think a lot of apps are stuck
with Pilot or Palm III level compatibility (to get the widest userbase).

> Can I sync with MS Outlook on my desktop?

Yes.  Well, as of some time this summer you will be able to.
I haven't kept up on the sync software work that's been going on
for the Agenda.

> Do I really want to run X on a PDA?

For 'rapid application development' (not to be confused with "RAD" :) ),
having X11 available makes things _so_ easy.

Even the Yopy finally decided to drop W Windows or whatever it was
using and go for regular plain old X11.  Having that kind of compatibility
blows the doors open for development.

I've already written four X11-based games for the thing (most in a span
of about a week and a half, thanks to how easy development is... it's
just a Linux box, for most practical concerns!), and began porting
a pair of emulators (Atari 2600 game system and Atari 8-bit computer).

People have gotten Xspread (a fairly full-fledged spreadsheet app.),
Tcl/Tk, a Java virtual machine, Xboard (Chess game), XZip (infocom game
interpreter), and more, ported to the system already.

Rumor has it, Yopy and iPAQ software development has been MUCH slower
(of course, those systems are in a completely different price range,
as I mentioned in my previous e-mail :) )

Anyway, for $180, this little PDA was a steal. :)

(Note: Consumer edition is $250, but I think you can still get
Developer editions from Agenda for $180, and I've seen used ones going
for $125 or $150 on the mailing lists and Usenet)