2008 Mar 03 10:34

Re: [vox-tech] Debian problems

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Foo Lim wrote:

> I don't think many would shoot you.  We do that at the installfests also.
> I agree that some hardware is configured easier in Win9x.  That's because
> most hardware is built with the Win9x OS in mind.

Just to clarify your point - any hardware that works under Windows _can_
work under Linux.  It's just that vendors can't often justify putting
resources on Linux driver development.... Software development is costly.

If, for example, a company develops a hardware item with a specific
interface and they release open-source Linux drivers, ... then a
competitor can copy the hardware interface and rely on the same exact
software driver, and introduce a cheaper product because they didn't have
to invest time in software driver development.  So, for this reason, often
corporations are hesitant to even release specs on their particular
hardware...

Just an FYI for the list...

--
Mr. Resistor (-/\/\/\-) (resistor@velcroshoes.org)
Velcro Shoe Supremacist and Computer Engineering Student