[vox-tech] Debian problems

I've been trying to install Debian for the last few days.  I finally got the
base system installed, and now I want to install packages with apt.  The
only problem is that my ppp won't work.  I have the configuration set up
exactly how it should be, but when the installer tries to dial up, it
doesn't even do anything...it just says it's not working.  I have it set to
the right port, and the init string is good.  I'm stumped.  Anybody have an
idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Also, does anybody know where I can find parameters for VIA onboard sound?
It won't install the modules without it.  :-\

Thanks
            BRAD