Re: [vox-tech] debian packages,dselect, etc...

Re: [vox-tech] debian packages,dselect, etc...

begin: Stephen M. Helms <Mytho_X@pacbell.net> quote
> Thanks Pete,
>
> I found libsdl-mixer and it is listed as installed.  So I tried to have
> debian update the install with no success.

careful with that axe, eugene.  update was probably very successful.  :)

> I am having a problem with
> dselect.  Everytime I use dselect it wants to remove my pcmcia-modules.
> Anyway to reset this? (I know probably a quick read of the man page, but
> I am being lazy).

to be perfectly honest with you, i can't figure dselect out.  it likes to do
screwy things, like uninstall the entire system and reinstall the system when
it thinks there's a problem.  i think dselect tries to be a little too clever
for its own good.

for that reason, i'm using apt-get and dpkg exclusively now, and i've never
been happier.

> The main problem when trying to compile an sdl program is it says it
> cannot find SDL_mixer.h, so I guess I could compile without the mixer
> and sound, but whats the point.

ahhh... ok, you're looking for a "dev package".   dev packages contain files
that are necessary to compile your own programs using the library's
functionality.  in your case, you're looking for:

libsdl-mixer1.1-dev

not

libsdl-mixer1.1

now if you have libsdl-mixer1.1-dev installed and the .h file still can't be
found, then we're in trouble.  :)

pete