Re: [vox-tech] Redirecting wget output to stdout?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Eric Engelhard wrote:

> William Kendrick wrote:
> > Maybe try:
> >
> >   lynx -dump ftp://username:password@ftp.server.net/path/to/file
> >
> > If you leave out the ":password" before the "@server", it will prompt you
> > interactively (probably not what you want in a non-interactive script :) )
> >
> > If you leave out the "username[:password]@" altogether, it will, of course,
> > use "anonymous" as the username.
>
> I can start downloading the file from the "graphical" page with:
>
> lynx ftp://login:pasword@server/file
>
> but this doesn't work:
>
> lynx -dump ftp://login:pasword@server/file
>
> I tried declaring the port (server:21) and the file type (;type =I), but
> no luck. Again, I can get the file with wget using the same login and
> passwd entries, but just haven't been able to figure out how to redirect
> to stdout. And I thought this would be easy. :-)
>
> :wq
> --
> Eric Engelhard

I finally have the time to start replying to some of the posts on this
list!  The last quarter was crazy.  Maybe I should quit
procrastinating....  nah.

Anyway, you should try using ncftp.  It's quite flexible when it comes to
ftp, plus it comes with an option to write to output.  Here's the

       cat    Acts like the ``/bin/cat'' UNIX command,  only  for
              remote  files.  This downloads the file you specify
              and dumps it directly  to  the  screen.   You  will
              probably  find  the page command more useful, since
              that lets you view the file one screen  at  a  time
              instead of printing the entire file at once.

You can get it at http://www.ncftp.com/ncftpd if you don't have it
installed already.  Hopefully, this isn't subject to the 2GB limit you're
running into in the C libraries.

Foo