January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] keys and keybinding

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Gabriel Rosa wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Henry House wrote:
>
> > Yes, I did ;-). The answer is to run 'showkey' (NOT while X is running) and
> > press keys to see what code they generate.
> >
> > This won't help when your keyboard is broken by design, alas. My Mac has two
> > option/alt keys, and both generate the same scancode. Bleh.
> >

> So, it turns out the function key modifies certain keys (func-uparrow gives me
> pageup, as i already knew), but not the keys i'm interested in...
> (no log messages either)
>
> this sucks, since i'm going for func-f5, for one, since under windows, that's
> the key combo that dims the lcd... :/
>
> i know the bios must be registering some kind of modified keypress, cuz
> windows knows when to run the dim-thingamabober...

It doesn't work in linux?

> of course, this wouldn't have helped me much, since i'd still need to figure
> out how to control the lcd hardware, but it would have been a step forward :)

That is a key point.  The keyboard actually has a microcontroller in it,
in which extra functions may be included with separate hardware controls
that the main cpu (bios, whatever) never sees.  If I were designing a
laptop, I wouldn't have implemented the Fn key in bios.... too likely to
get screwed up. :)