January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] keys and keybinding

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Gabriel Rosa wrote:

> the function key on my laptop :)
> i'd like to bind some events to func-key combinations.

I believe that key is captured by the hardware then processed (control
brightness, volume, etc.) and never passed to the software...  If all
those functionalities were done at software level, I would be able to
remap one of the redundant keys on my desktop (ie - lctrl) to control the
volume.  Or write a program on a laptop to control the brightness of the
LCD monitor.  This doesn't necessarily mean the action of pressing the
function key itself doesn't get passed to the software, but xev seems
to confirm that the function key's code doesn't get passed to the
software.

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim