Re: [vox-tech] Help for Linux Installation on Ultra 1

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Help for Linux Installation on Ultra 1
  • From: "S.M. Sohelozzaman" <msohel@iMAPSeh.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 07:11:58 -0700

Dear Jeff Newmiller,
Thanks for your information. I think I will download other software for
burning the SUSE Linux installation files for Sun Ultra 1.
Would you please mention any URL where I can get the help for install
SUSE on Ultra.
Thanks in advance.
Sohel.

jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us schrieb:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, S.M. Sohelozzaman wrote:
>
> > Hello Shawn and others,
> > Thanks for your help with the URL. I have already download the Linux for
> > Sparc. I got 5 ISO image file. My CD writer software (Winoncd)do not
> > support this file.
>
> This seems hard to believe.  Your software does not need to be able to
> support looking inside the files... it just needs to be able to write an
> ISO file to the CDR as-is.
>
> > So I am using ISOBUSTER software for this.
>
> You do _not_ want to look inside the files until you have burned them onto
> the cd.
>
> > But I am
> > getting three options for the extraction of files:
> > 1. ISO 9660
> > 2. RockRidge
> > 3. Joilet
> > Which format should I use to extract the data to write it on the CD by
> > using Winon CD software.
>
> Do not attempt to extract any files or "create" a cd from files.  There
> are two steps in writing a CD... the first one organizes the data into an
> "ISO" filesystem image, and the second one puts the resulting image on the
> CD.  Some software tries to hide this distinction... but the first step is
> already done in this case.  You do not want to repeat it.
>
> > Secondly, do you know that the CD  will be self bootable with Ultra 1.
>
> Shawn may be able to, but _I_ can't help you with that one.  Read the
> documentation on the CDs once you have burned them.

> Work:<JeffN@endecon.com>              Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...2k

S.M. Sohelozzaman

Institut für Energieübertragung und
Hochspannungstechnik der Universität Stuttgart
Pfaffenwaldring 47
70569 Stuttgart-Vaihingen

Telefon: +49 (0) 7 11 / 6 85 - 78 79
Telefax: +49 (0) 7 11 / 6 85 - 78 77