January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Partition Magic for Linux?

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 11:36:32PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 09:02:39PM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> > I have another question: I am looking to get a cd-recordable drive that
> > handles both reading and writing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to
> > which brands I should get and which I should look out for? I am specifically
> > looking for Linux operability.
>
> Virtually all SCSI drives are well supported. (I have a Yamaha CD-RW. It works
> great, though I haven't yet tried to do packet writing.)
>
> IDE burners can be tricky to set up because they typically (always?) use
> SCSI-over-IDE emulation. I'm sure someone here has gotten it to work well
> (Pete?) I'll leave the IDE drive recommendations to others who can speak form
> experience.*

Not tricky at all.  Definitely get the HOWTO, though, as Henry
suggests (but I snipped).

Yes, it requires that you use SCSI-over-IDE emulation - this is not
hard to set up, and the HOWTO explains in sufficient detail.  This
does mean, though, that if you don't already have the SCSI stuff
compiled into your kernel, you need to add it.  Probably this just
means using appropriate insmods, though.

Mine is an IOMEGA Zip CD-RW.  Just make sure it's on the latest list
of supported drives (or maybe it's just a list of /unsupported/ drives
- I forget)!

Micah