Re: [vox-tech] wtf?

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> bizarre.  i run both cards, and they seem to perform equally as well, except
> for the fact that the 128 doesn't come with hardware midi.  not a problem
> these days, since most apps seem to use midi emulation these days.  was an
> annoyance last year, when i was playing lxdoom.

I'm a big fan of hardware midi. It's really sad that cards now a days aren't
being built with a midi chip. It used to be cool to have wave tables and ~0%
cpu load playback :)

> the 128 was also easier to configure, but the awe drivers have better
> resource detection/setting these days.

I'm just generally amazed at how easy it is to set up a sound card nowadays.
It's hard to find an unsupported card.

> > but the sb128 seems to be well shielded.
>
> i guess so.    maybe the length of the ISA connector strip is an integer
> fraction of the radio station's wavelength while the PCI isn't.  :P

I'm half thinking about putting the awe back in there and hooking up another
set of speakers to it just for midi :)

well, maybe not :)

-Gabe