Re: [vox-tech] finding information on c++

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] finding information on c++
  • From: "Mark K. Kim" <markslisMAPSt@email.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:43:21 -0700

For C++'s STL (of which the "string" class is a part of), I go to SGI's
web reference (I use this a lot):

   http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/

Not exactly the non-web solution you were looking for, but it's not like
there's a good man page for C++ and the web is the next best solution.  At
least all of STL stuff is in one place.

For iostream and other C++ stuff, I sometimes go to:

   http://www.math.utah.edu/docs/info/iostream_toc.html

but I use books more than the web reference for iostream (I use "C/C++
Programmer's Reference", available at UCD bookstore -- it has a list of
available member functions and stuff).  Also reading /usr/include/g++-2/
helps, sometimes.

As for figuring out things like "string" is actually a class derived from
"basic_string", you should look for a graphical chart that shows the
relationship between different classes.  For practical purposes, I've only
needed to know that:

   string is derived from basic_string

   cout is of type derived from ostream
   cin is of type derived from istream

   ifstream is also derived from istream
   ofstream is also derived from ostream

There are lots of other derivations involved in there, but you don't
really need to know them until you need them (happens very rarely), at
which time you can poke through /usr/include/g++-2/ or the web and find
what you need.

Oh, and this mailing list helps, too :)

-Mark

--