Re: [vox-tech] new to linux

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] new to linux
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dMAPSirac.org>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:21:01 -0700

any of the 3 inch thick books with names like "linux unleashed", "linux
bible", "linux bible unleashed", "linux secrets", "linux secrets unleashed",
"linux secret bible unleashed" should be exactly what you need.   look for
books by que.   also, there's a linux for dummies if you're feeling
particularly distressed.

i learned linux from "redhat secrets".  a great book, and we have it in the
library.  from a user's standpoint, there's very little semantic difference
between dos and bash (bash being the standard linux shell).

there is a command "file" which will tell you the filetype of a specified
file.

% file /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.1
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.1: Linux kernel x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, root_dev=0x305,
Normal VGA

% file Phys200CProbSet5_Sol_P1.ps
Phys200CProbSet5_Sol_P1.ps: PostScript document text conforming at level 3.0

% file Untitled-1.nb
Untitled-1.nb: Mathematica 3.0 notebook

(wow, i'm impressed by that one!  thought it would show up as "text").

% file ginautas.txt
gintautas: news or mail text

.gz means a file compressed with gzip.   .tar means a file or
file/directories  archived with tar.   .tar.gz or .tgz  means a tarred and
gzipped file, also known as the slang term "tarred and feathered".

if only the world had more conscientious and fewer intelligent people, we
might all live in a better world...  :)

pete

begin: Bryce Kuklok <bryak@hotmail.com> quote