Re: [vox-tech] gimp - writing to transparent areas?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] gimp - writing to transparent areas?
  • From: William Kendrick <nbs@bolt.sMAPSonic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:01:11 -0700

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 06:01:37PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Hey guys.  A quick question -- When you resize an image, how do you access
> the transparent area of the image?  Thanks in advance!

Mark - can you access the 'transparent area' before a resize?
(The way you worded your question, it sounds like you can, but then cannot
after a resize.  That, unfortunately, doesn't make sense to me. :) )

What format is the image in that you're loading?  (File format (GIF,JPG,etc)
as well as color mode (indexed or RGB))

Finally, if it's just a matter of an image not letting you create transparent
sections (in this case, I'm assuming an image with only one layer, usually
called "Background" by default in Gimp), you must first give the layer
an alpha channel.

To do this, select "Add Alpha Channel" from the "Layers" submenu.
(Right click somewhere in the image, select "Layers", then select "Add...")

At this point, you should be able to use the Eraser tool, select areas of
the image and Cut or Clear them (and have the checkerboard pattern show
through the transparency), and, if you create more layers, now you can
move this layer above others (or others below it).

Hope this has helped!  If not, let me know more about what you're trying
to do.