Re: [vox-tech] C Obfuscator

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 04:18:07PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> Very cool, Micah.
>
> A slightly oblique question: does anyone know how to turn on national
> language character support in GCC? ANSI C++ allows all sorts of national
> characters in identifiers, but a simple test program:
>
>       #include <stdio.h>
>               int main(int argc, char **argv) {
>               char * = "Hello, world!";
>               puts();
>               return 0;
>       }
>
> compiled with 'g++ -ansi' does not fly with GCC.

While I have a copy of the C++ standard, I haven't read it thoroughly
yet.  However, the same functionality exists in ISO C (at least in
C99), so I'll assume that it works the same way: As part of the
preprocessing, it gets translated in an implementation-defined manner
into universal-character names (\u hex-quad or \U hex-quad hex-quad).
Since it's implementation defined, it doesn't have to happen at all,
really - but either way, I strongly suspect that it's locale-dependant
- did you set the appropriate locale environment variables?  What
language where you attempting?

Micah