January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] AAARRRGGGHHHH! (Translation: Linux got hosed)

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] AAARRRGGGHHHH! (Translation: Linux got hosed)
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirMAPSac.org>
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 19:49:10 -0700

begin: Mark K. Kim <mkkim@ucdavis.edu> quote
> My Linux has been acting weird for a while... and it's finally gotten
> hosed today (just the root partition, as far as I can tell, though).
> It's incredibly annoying to use alpha/beta kernel modules...  at least I
> think that's the source of the problem...

whoa.  wait a minute.  don't reinstall linux just yet.

what happened?

what makes you think the root partition is hosed?

> I guess I'll reinstall the root
> partition.
>
> But I'm not sure how I can install just the root partition.  'cause the
> "install" option (on Mandrake) would try to *install* RPMs (as opposed to
> *upgrade* RPMs) which may not work properly because there are existing
> RPMs.  Which reminds me -- since the root partition is gone, the RPM
> database is also gone, right?

depends.  the rpm database, i believe, goes under /var.  perhaps
/var/lib/rpm.

> -- so what will happen if I try to
> install/upgrade an RPM and there are existing files from the previous
> install but not registered in the RPM database?

nothing.  if you *install* linux, rpm shouldn't check any database which may
exist.  installing linux and populating an rpm database is MUCH different
than doing rpm -U a billion times.

pete

ps- you never heard people talk about it, but i always back up /etc.