Re: [vox-tech] AAARRRGGGHHHH! (Translation: Linux got hosed)

Re: [vox-tech] AAARRRGGGHHHH! (Translation: Linux got hosed)

I could, but what would then happen to the existing files?  Won't rpm (the
program) complain about overwriting existing files?  Will it overwrite the
existing files, will it back up old files, or will it skip them?  If it
overwrites them, it's going to leave around old files that haven't been
overwritten.  If it backs up old files, that's great.  If it skips them,
I'll end up with a half-installed system that'll complain for the rest of
the partition's life.  I'd like to know what will happen before
installation so I know what to expect.

Also, the other partitions work perfectly fine as far as I know.  I'd
rather install just the root partition to recover the system I had.

-Mark

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Brad Benedict wrote:

> Can't you just re-install, and choose to format your root partition, and
> not your /home partition?  That's what I do when I screw Linux up to the
> point where it won't work anymore.
>
> "Mark K. Kim" wrote:
> >
> > My Linux has been acting weird for a while... and it's finally gotten
> > hosed today (just the root partition, as far as I can tell, though).
> > It's incredibly annoying to use alpha/beta kernel modules...  at least I
> > think that's the source of the problem...  I guess I'll reinstall the root
> > partition.
> >
> > But I'm not sure how I can install just the root partition.  'cause the
> > "install" option (on Mandrake) would try to *install* RPMs (as opposed to
> > *upgrade* RPMs) which may not work properly because there are existing
> > RPMs.  Which reminds me -- since the root partition is gone, the RPM
> > database is also gone, right? -- so what will happen if I try to
> > install/upgrade an RPM and there are existing files from the previous
> > install but not registered in the RPM database?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Mark
> >
> > ---
> > Mark K. Kim