Re: [vox-tech] xcdroast and ide-scsi

rusty,

not quite.   suppose you have a directory filled with mp3's of your favorite
kenny g songs in mp3 format.  you want to record them onto cd:

   # ls -la /mp3/Kenny_G
   total 8
   drwxr-xr-x    2 p        p            4096 May  6 15:01 ./
   drwxrwxrwx    5 p        p            4096 May  6 15:01 ../
   #

the first step is to create the iso:

   mkisofs -r /mp3/Kenny_G > /tmp/Kenny_G.iso

the -r is a good thing to set.  see the manpages for its description.  you'll
also want to read about -pad.   now that you have your iso, it's time to burn
it.   step two is to find out the device numbers to use.  you do that by
using -scanbus (yes, that's one dash...) with cdrecord.  on my system:

   # cdrecord -scanbus
   Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
   Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
   Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
   scsibus0:
           0,0,0     0) *
           0,1,0     1) *
           0,2,0     2) *
           0,3,0     3) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-ROM PX-40TW  ' '1.00' Removable CD-ROM
           0,4,0     4) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W124TS' '1.05' Removable CD-ROM
           0,5,0     5) *
           0,6,0     6) *
           0,7,0     7) *

so my cdr is device 0,4,0.   the next (and last) step is to burn the disk.

   cdrecord -v -data dev=0,4,0 speed=12 /tmp/Kenny_G.iso

the -v gives verbose info (you can get more info, but it's very unhelpful.
i've found this to be absolutely optimal).  the -data option is strictly
not necessary, since cdrecord defaults to -data when files don't end in ".au"
or ".wav".   i do it by sheer habit.

now in 5 or 6 minutes, you have a nice cd filled with all the greatest hits
by kenny g.  you're now prepared for any elevator you may encounter...

you're now free from a high level application which is harder to set up than
simply using cdrecord alone!  at least, that's been my experience.
xcdroast simply isn't worth the hassle of configuring.

pete

begin: Rusty Minden <clownsinc@home.com> quote