January 6: Social gathering
2008 Mar 03 10:29

Re: [vox-tech] keys and keybinding

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] keys and keybinding
  • From: Pavan <xxxxxx@uiuc.edMAPSu>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:35:50 -0700

> > of course, this wouldn't have helped me much, since i'd still need to figure
> > out how to control the lcd hardware, but it would have been a step forward :)
>
> That is a key point.  The keyboard actually has a microcontroller in it,
> in which extra functions may be included with separate hardware controls
> that the main cpu (bios, whatever) never sees.  If I were designing a
> laptop, I wouldn't have implemented the Fn key in bios.... too likely to
> get screwed up. :)

Could always contact the vendor. :)  Have you seen those Compaq systems
where they have special "mp3 player" buttons?  They launch special mp3
player applications in Windows too.  So.... vendors can get a little
creative here and there.  Maybe the cant-dim-the-screen guy had a vendor
who was a little cheap when it came to dimming the screen ;-)

"help, my os doesn't support the mp3 key!" ... lol.

--
Pavan xxxxxx (xxxxxx@uiuc.edu)   http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~xxxxxx
Computer Engineering Student     University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign