Re: [vox-tech] perl question - variable holding a variable name

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Henry House wrote:

> >    $GLOBALS["James"] = "fool";
> [...]
>
> I'm a little confused here: what's wrong with just accessing globals in the
> normal way?

Sometimes you obtain a variable name in a string, like in a variable
called "$varname" (without the quotes) and you want to manipulate that
variable.  This can happen if you're writing your own language (call it
the "LUG" language), and you want LUG programs to be able to access the
interpreter's variables directly.

Example:

   File "prog.lug":
      set TERM "vt100"
      set DISPLAY ":0.0"

   File "parser.php3" (modified for readability -- not a real PHP program):
      while(1) {
         $command = readCommand();

         switch($command) {
            case "set": setVariable();