January 6: Social gathering

RE: [vox-tech] Dual-booting Linux and Windows 2000

  • Subject: RE: [vox-tech] Dual-booting Linux and Windows 2000
  • From: "Deja User" <unix_admin@mMAPSy-deja.com>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 23:02:57 -0700

I've settled for either Linux alone (removeable hard drives) or using the floppy.
Problem is, NT (Microsoft actually, Bill Gates specifically) wants to own, or be in
charge of, everything, including your hard drive. I've deemed it too risky to my Linux
partition and/or my collected Windows data to try to force NT to play nice with
Linux... This does not preclude a workable solution, however, I've not found one yet,
and no longer care to. I'll stick with either/or, unless or until someone from the
Linux side devises a solution for Linux to have its way with Microsoft, instead of
vice-versa.

>From: "Adam Getchell" <acgetchell@ucdavis.edu>
>To: <vox-tech@franz.mother.com>
>Subject: [vox-tech] Dual-booting Linux and Windows 2000
>Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 10:33:33 -0700
>
>Hi all,
>
>I have a 9GB drive with Windows 2000 installed on it. I wanted to make a
>dual-boot system, so I added another 2.5GB IDE drive I had lying around
>(jumpered to slave). Then I setup an FTP installation of RedHat's Wolverine
>and let it run during the weekend.
>
>On return, I had a Red Hat Linux bootable installation on hdb. I also made a
>boot disk. fdisk shows:
>
>Cylinders    Device        Type
>1-5            /dev/hdb1    boot
>6-621        /dev/hdb2    extended partition
>6-604        /dev/hdb5    /
>605-621    /dev/hdb6    swap
>
>Where cylinders are 8164*512K = 4MB each.
>
>To make a bootfile for NTLoader to load linux, I did:
>
>dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
>
>then I copied this file to diskette.
>
>To get Windows 2000 back (and in accordance with the Linux-NT HOWTO on
>www.linuxdoc.org), I booted a DOS disk and ran fdisk /mbr, then repaired my
>NT bootsector using the repair procedure. (Actually, I've done this twice
>... the second time, I just fdisk'ed). After I could boot to W2K, I copied
>bootsect.lnx onto C: and added the following line to boot.ini
>
>C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Red Hat Linux (Wolverine)"
>
>Now, when I tried to use NT Loader to get to Linux, I get the error:
>
>BOOT Failed
>
>However, I can boot W2K. I can also boot to Linux using the boot disk. So, I
>tried copying the floppy's boot sector using
>
>dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootsec.lnx bs=512 count=1
>
>but this generates the same results.
>
>I don't want to run LILO, since that will overwrite my NT Bootloader. I
>tried that already, that adds the line:
>
>boot=/dev/hda
>
>to /etc/lilo.conf and erases the NT Bootloader, until I fdisk it.
>
>Any hints on completing this? I can dual boot by inserting the floppy, but
>I'd like to manage the process in NT Loader.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--Adam

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/