Re: [vox-tech] Linux/Windows virus

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Linux/Windows virus
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <pMAPS@dirac.org>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 08:16:04 -0700

> http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010402S0004
>
> Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.  So will antivirus software
> start showing up on freshmeat.net or will people actually look over the
> code they download from now on?  There still is a safety net with file
> permissions, but if you install this virus as root, there's potential for
> getting screwed royally.

it reads like a windows user who's out to prove something.  given the
following paragraph:

   It has no mechanism for spreading itself or "payload" for damaging
   computers, and it doesn't execute automatically when opened.

what exactly makes this newsworthy?   we have *games* that compile cross
platform.  that's way more impressive!  this reminds me of bill's joke about
asking the person to run the executable as root so it can delete all your
files.

   "The real lesson to take from it is that Linux bigots should stop
   saying that Linux is virus-proof, because they're just winding the bad
   guys up," said Roger Thompson, technical director of malicious code
   research at security company TruSecure Corp.

linux bigots?   now i KNOW this article has a beef to grind.  he just lost
credibility with me.

virii transmit via applications.  worms transmit via the net.   there's a
blur between the two these days, but i think this a-hole is wrong.  linux
is nearly virus proof.   perhaps our _user files_ aren't.  but a secure
_system_ is.

"Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org
       -- Kathryn Janeway on the virtues of coffee           www.dirac.org/p