January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] font change on xterm

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] font change on xterm
  • From: Henry House <hajhouse@houseMAPSag.com>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:43:40 -0700

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 11:45:37AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> control-right click on the xterm (hold it down).  you'll see a font menu.
>
> same trick doesn't work with rxvt, but there has to be something similar.
>
> pete
>
> ----- Forwarded message from owner-vox-tech@lists.mother.com -----
> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 05:22:36 -0700
> From: owner-vox-tech@lists.mother.com
> To: owner-vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: BOUNCE vox-tech@lists.lugod.org:    Non-member submission from ["Jay
>Strauss" <jstrauss@speakeasy.org>]
>
> Anyone know how to change (make bigger) the size of the font in an Xterm
> window?

Xterm and Rxvt may be customized permanently using X resources --- variables
that you set in ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources, which are read by your X
server and made available to clients. Both Xterm and Rxvt allow you to make
very intricate customizations this way. Here are the X resources I use:

        ! All the following should work on Xterm too. Change 'rxvt' to 'xterm'.
        ! The following line sets the font to something legible on my monitor
        rxvt*font:              -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1

        ! These colors make syntax-highlighted Vim easier to read
        rxvt*foreground:        white
        rxvt*background:        black
        rxvt*color1:            coral
        rxvt*color4:            #87CEFA
        rxvt*color9:            red
        rxvt*color12:           SkyBlue

        ! Scrollbars just waste space
        rxvt*scrollBar:         off
        rxvt*saveLines:         512
        rxvt*scrollTtyOutput:   off
        rxvt*scrollTtyKeypress: on
        rxvt*geometry:          140x64

        ! I don't think this works on Xterm
        rxvt*visualBell:        on

The available resources are listed in the program's respective manual pages.

--
Henry House