Re: [vox-tech] Re: PATH_MAX

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 08:08:04PM -0700, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Henry House wrote:
>
> > The header file linux/limits.h defines PATH_MAX, which is alegedly the limit
> > on path lengths. Is there a portable way to get the maximum path length?
>
> I think the closest you can get is:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> char fname[ FILENAME_MAX ];

>From the libc manual:

    *Usage Note:* Don't use `FILENAME_MAX' as the size of an array in
     which to store a file name!  You can't possibly make an array
     that big!  Use dynamic allocation (*note Memory Allocation::)
     instead.

Also, there is not guaranteed to be an actual limit to path strings -
and some library calls which return paths may return strings lonter
than FILENAME_MAX, I believe.  In the event that there is no actual
limit, PATH_MAX is not guaranteed to be defined, and FILENAME_MAX will
be defined to a very large number.

Micah