Re: [vox-tech] Perl question, DBI - Why no selectcol_array method?

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Micah Cowan wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 03:28:58PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> > In DBI there is:
> >
> >       $ary_ref = $dbh->selectrow_arrayref($statement);
> >       @row_ary = $dbh->selectrow_array($statement);
> >
> > but only
> >
> >       $ary_ref = $dbh->selectcol_arrayref($statement);
> >
> > Why??? (i.e why no @col_ary = $dbh->selectcol_array($statement))
>
> Dunno.  You'll have to ask the author  :)

I think this would encourage inefficient programming constructs, because
such a function would imply a complete iteration through all the rows and
columns while ignoring all but one.  It is more efficient to use a query
that only returns the single column you are interested in.

[...]