Re: [vox-tech] noise problems

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> doctor says...
>
> then don't turn the mixer all the way up!

ya ya ya... but i want LOUD :)

> good cheap sound card -- high quality for most purposes.  doesn't come with
> onboard midi, so you'll need timidity to emulate it.  we all know how to set
> it up, and i've been generally happy with it.  my only beef with this card
> was that doom *used* to require an external midi player named musserv which
> didn't function with soundcards without midi chips.

While I don't often listen to midi, i still dislike cards without midi chips.
It's like buying a car without headlights, just because you keep a flashlight
in the glovebox :)

> i usually go for awe 64's; they used to be a beast to get working, but recent
> kernels have good support.

speak of the devil. I have an awe 64 isa card in there.

> if you want the best of the best, you can get the card D+ by audio digital.
> but only if you want to do some serious sound processing and recording.  it's
> a 500 dollar sound card, but is considered almost studio quality.  alsa
> support is "undetermined" so it may not work with linux yet (if you're
> wondering why i know so much about this card, it's because i was seriously
> considering getting it).

I'm thinking of going with the SB Live. Anyone have good experiences with it?

> gabe, when you move the wires behind your table, do you hear that too?
> maybe it's an E&M radiation problem?

no, not a all. I'm guessing it's random interference the card isn't shielding.

-Gabe