Re: [vox-tech] Beowulf question

> > BPROC I'm guessing is using the same PID across different machines making
> > it easier to start, stop, suspend, resume and similar across a large
> > cluster.
> >
> Nailed it right on the head...  It seemed like a good system...

Well it's an ugly hack to make a group of seperate computers
sort of/kinda/ well almost look like a single computer.

> > Theres also projects to do shared memory over PCI which would be
> > kinda cool for certain kinds of applications.
> >
> > I'm in the process of building a 20-64 node beowulf btw.
>
>I'm not doing anything that hardcore, just a small (n<5 node) cluster as a kind
>of 'proof of procedure'.  I have been toying around with the idea of doing some
>GIS stuff (map rendering).

Cool, theres several similar projects about, my favorite is generating
maps and similar from the Government produced TIGER dataset that includes
every address in the USA as reported by the census.  They are available
for free (since they were paid by with tax $$$'s).

I've always wanted to do similar and integrate it with a linux pda
and GPS.  To many ideas, to little time...

MPI is cool, can be painful to debug, and does not require more then
1 cpu for development.

--
Bill