Re: [vox-tech] Beowulf question

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:45:37PM -0700, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> Hey all:
>
>I have been poking around and trying to play with clustering and beowulf.  I
>have been trying to find a good messaging program/daemon.  Can anyone suggest a
>good (free) one?

MPI is the standard, try:
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/indexold.html

> I have seen some stuff on BPROC... does anyone have experience or advice on
> this topic?

BPROC I'm guessing is using the same PID across different machines making
it easier to start, stop, suspend, resume and similar across a large
cluster.

Theres also projects to do shared memory over PCI which would be
kinda cool for certain kinds of applications.

I'm in the process of building a 20-64 node beowulf btw.

You might also be interested in pthreads which makes it easier
to use more then 1 cpu in a single box.

--
Bill