Re: [vox-tech] Off Subject and (Probably) Remedial Question

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Henry House wrote:

> I assume you mean carrige returns by 'such characters'. Answer: yes, if you
> use the Vim editor (vi = Vim on most Red Hat and Mandrake systems), then if
> the carrige returns  are there they will show up as '^M' at the end of lines.
> Line breaks show up as, well line breaks ;-). There are rumours that Vim has
> been ported to DOS/Win; see http://www.vim.org/

No rumor.  I've been using VIM on DOS/Win for three years or so.

If Vim sees ^M at the end of every line, it realizes it's a DOS format
file and will hide ^M at the end of each line (but keep the actual ^M
characters in memory and set a flag to note that ^M's are hidden.) This is
true for all Vim, DOS/Win/Unix/etc.  You can turn off this by setting the
"fileformat" variable to "unix"; alternatively, enable the binary editing
mode.

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim