Re: [vox-tech] I told you so

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:30:26PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I thought /dev/null like a none existent directory. If you moved something
> there it was the same as deleting it (or is that what your saying)

it's a file, just like any other file.  the only difference is that it has a
major number[1] which tells the kernel that reading, writing and some other
operations are performed by a special handler within the kernel.

other than that fact, there's really nothing special about it.  you can move
it, copy it, copy OVER it (as discussed earlier) or even just delete it.

pete

[1] it also has a minor number, but the kernel proper doesn't care about
minor numbers.