Re: [vox-tech] Off Subject and (Probably) Remedial Question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Off Subject and (Probably) Remedial Question
  • From: jdnewmilMAPS@dcn.davis.ca.us
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:04:32 -0700

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Cris Clausing wrote:

> I, as a minion of the Evil (Microsoft) Empire, have built a couple of
> Access databases which use (DOS) files FTP'd from a Unix system.
>
> When I import those files to Access they LOOK fine in the database
> tables, with one line of data per row in the table.  HOWEVER, when I
> run an Access / SQL 'COUNT' of records, the function returns a number
> much less than the number of rows in the table.  When I cut-and-paste
> the table data to an Excel spreadsheet, I end up with multiple
> lines/rows of data in a single cell.
>
> I've looked at the files in a BINARY (HEX) editor and see, what appear
> to me to be, valid CARRIAGE RETURN LINE FEED ( 0D 0A ) values where
> they should be ?.and NO extra (non-printing) characters or code.
>
> I assume the FTP'd Unix files contain characters which I can't see
> using my DOS / Windows application TEXT or BINARY (HEX) editors (?).
>
> My Questions:
> 1)    a)  Is mine a valid assumption?

That there are special characters inserted by Unix that a DOS hex editor
cannot see? Which is the evil empire you referred to?

Um, No.

> b) Can / will a file generated and used / viewed in the above
>    described manner contain characters / control characters?

Huh?  You just said you saw crlf sequences... can you communicate/write
without equivocating everywhere?

> c) Is there a DOS/Windows system application that will allow me to
> view such characters?

See your local psychic or other new age therapist?

> d) Can I copy the files (from my DOS/Windows system) to my (HOME)
> Linux system and use something (I'm a Linux Newbie) to view them?  IF
> so, which application?

See above.

> 2)    a)  Has anyone else run into a similar problem?

Sounds like your data has errors, such that data type conversions are not
working.  Be sure you don't depend on Access to identify the data types in
the columns... it does a terrible job.

> b)    Was it an issue with the Unix FTP program / interface ?

Sounds like not.  Omitting the "binary" option on the ftp transfer could
cause problems, but I learned about those ages ago.

> c)    How did you resolve it?

Define tables with known column types, make sure they are empty, and
import the data again.

> My Undying Gratitude !!!

First the minions of the evil empire, then the undead. Man, you are
scary! :)