January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] I told you so

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] I told you so
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@diracMAPS.org>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:44:14 -0700

On Fri 20 Apr 01,  2:37 PM, Jay Strauss said:
> I know you (Pete) are going to say I told you so but:

well, i'll be nice for a change and not say it.   ;)

> Someone told me to copy all the bin from my ksh dist to my /bin directory.

my 80 year old grandmother knows enough about linux to not tell someone not
to screw with what an operating system puts in /bin.

who IS this fool?

> This seemed a little risky so I copied my /bin to /bin.0 just in case.  Then
> I copied the ksh stuff to /bin.  Now my machine is kinda hosed.  I quickly:
>
> cd /bin.0
> cp -rf * /bin

good thinking.

> While that cleared up some errors
>
> I keep getting errors like:
>
> id: error in loading shared libraries: libcmd.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory

i don't have libcmd on my system.   one possibility is that ksh provided an
executable which is now "higher up" in your $PATH and which gets executed
before the "real" version.

probably a better thing to do in your case is:

1. blow away /bin
2. move /bin.0 to /bin

see if that helps.   you are running bash, right?

another thing you might want to do is get a list of all files which were
created when you installed ksh and move them to /home/safe or something.

also, perhaps libcmd is on your system.  try running ldconfig and see if that
helps.   <--- try this first!

> Oh woe is me

pdksh is looking mighty good right about now, eh?    ;-)

moral: be very careful about installing stuff from source.  one of the main
benefits of rpm/deb is to protect files from being arbitrarily overwritten
when you install something.

lots of people here feel your pain.  i'm sure we'll see many followups to
this message!   good luck!

pete