Re: [vox-tech] Installing ksh

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Installing ksh
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@diracMAPS.org>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:33:13 -0700

On Thu 19 Apr 01,  5:31 PM, Jay Strauss said:
> I overreacted, I "installed it" but the last step doesn't make sense.  The
> only reason I'd like it is that most companies I go into have ksh, but not
> bash (many sysadmins don't want to be bothered with me asking for bash).

really?  so i take it these are non-linux systems.

come to think of it, there MUST be a linux tool to change your default shell
without invoking rootly powers.  something so you don't have to go editing
passwd for every joe blow who wants to login using csh rather than
bash.

imho, that should go under "user configurable", not "ask the sysadmin for
permission".

> Just recently: ksh is free, freely distributable, and the source is
> published.  check out www.kornshell.com

ahhh!  very good!  before i knew about linux, i used ksh.  very cool shell;
i'm very glad to hear it has been open sourced.

thanks for the info, jay.