Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> > -- Linux had virtually no SMP support until a few years back.
>
> a lot of code can be written in the span of "a few years".    :-)

It also means they can catch up within "a few years" if it's deemed
necessary or important enough.

> > I remember discussing with Ajay about Linus delving into SMP when we were
> > sophomores or so.
>
> does ajay know anything about computer science?  (i honestly don't know.  all
> i remember him saying is that he didn't like programming).

He was CSE.  He was into alternative computing before I was (he's had more
time to get to know these things than I...)

> > (BTW, you know the
> > lightyear is a unit of physical distance, not time... :)
>
> heh.   but the units of time are the same as the units of space.   :-)
> the conversion factor is c.  there's 3*10^8 meters in one second.

Oh, right... (you're one step ahead of me...)  Then I'll see you in
1*10^14 meters! :)

> > I'm sure we seem pretty weird to them, too... :)
>
> touchee.   :)     but i was thinking about the press statements you hear by
> bsd developers every once in awhile.  at least you don't hear linus and ESR
> going around saying thing like "however uses bsd sucks eggs".

They're just jealous Linux is so much more popular than BSD... :P

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/