Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security
  • From: "Deja User" <MAPSunix_admin@my-deja.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:04:57 -0700

>i think you've basically ignored bill's comments (left intact below).
>
>it's nice that they go line by line.  but how do you address bill's points?
>
>pete

Pete, I *should* just ignore your comments ; ) (don't go away mad!), but I was
addressing these two questions of Bill's:

>Is it somehow immune to the bugs that have plagued all the popular
>  > distributions?

In a sense, much more resistant to many of the bugs out there, out-of-the-box, before
hardening, because of all the work done prior to your installing the system.

>  >
>  > Or is it just because of a much smaller user based that nobody
notices.
>  >

No, definitely not. OpenBSD, I believe, is quantifiably more secure (again,
out-of-the-box) than Linux is. I think this is fairly common knowledge among those who
care to take an interest in such things. That does not mean Linux can't be made highly
secure... or is somehow an "inferior" OS (such as Windows!).

>On Thu 12 Apr 01,  1:37 AM, Deja User said:
>> You should really research OpenBSD if you are interested. They have done MAJOR work
>to secure/harden their system. I read they have basically gone line-by-line through
>the code (and continue to do so) to find bugs/insecurities. They have also found many
>bugs in third-party software as a result of their diligence and effort, and have
>contributed these back to the community. They have done a lot of hard work, enabling
>you to get on with the business of serving, instead of patching/updating. Since no
>one can know it all, it is nice to know that many have already helped you before you
>even install the system. In this sense, OpenBSD, IMO, is superior out-of-the-box than
>Linux, at least security-wise. However, to each his own. (Trusted Solaris!)
>>
>> >Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:28:42 -0700
>> >From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.edu>
>> >To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
>> >Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: OpenBSD and Security
>> >
>> >What does Openbsd use for DNS?  Maildelivery?  FTP? NTP? ssh?  Or does
>> >the installation not include this functionality and rely on the user
>> >to install them?
>> >
>> >Is it somehow immune to the bugs that have plagued all the popular
>> >distributions?
>> >
>> >Or is it just because of a much smaller user based that nobody notices.
>> >

>> >--
>> >Bill

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/