Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Bill Broadley wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:27:03PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> >   1. In my experience, Mandrake is superior to RedHat in every way -- they
> >      took RedHat and made it better and bundled with better/more software.
> >      HOWEVER -- I've never tried RedHat *Professional*.
>
> I've never tried Mandrake.  I do know that on numerous application
> development mailing lists that all error reports from mandrake users
> were regularly ignored.  They used a known broken pgcc compiler who's
> strongest attestment to compiler functionality is that they hadn't found
> a file that when compressed with the pgcc compiled gzip produced the
> wrong file when gunziped.   No idea if things have improved since then.

I've never had any problems.

> >   2. Current versions of Mandrake and RedHat are 7.2 and 7.0,
> >      respectively.  But RedHat 7.0 has been giving us a lot of problems
> >      so it's probably better to use RedHat 6.2 than 7.0.  Mandrake
> >      7.2 has also given some of us some problems but it seems to be
> >      an occasional problem with certain shaky hardware.
>
> I'm curious what problems you've had with rh7.0 and if it was patched.
> I'm having better luck with rh7.0 then any older distributions I've
> tried (once patched)

RH7 has had most problems with its experimental gcc that's incompatible
with many applications.  Perhaps the patch fixes it -- it's an extra step
John has to go through, tho.

> >   3. I'd think a BSD would be better for server purposes than Linux.
> >      Have you tried OpenBSD?  That's what I'd go with personally.
> >      Many argue Linux is just as good as BSD or better; I think each
> >      has its strengths/weaknesses and we should make good use of it.
>
> Have you quantified any differences?

BSD development is done very carefully, and developments are always done
with server usage in mind (I'd think with a higher priority than any
desktop usage).  They always come bundled to do server work, too.  Yahoo
uses FreeBSD.  OpenBSD comes with maximum security setting.  BSD also has
years of usage behind it, and it's been tested left and right.

Linux, on the other hand is developed with the latest hardware and desktop
in mind.  One person makes all the calls -- what goes in the kernel, and
what isn't.  People who buy Linux generally want to know what hardware
will work with it, and what the latest and greatest software is available;
that leads to secondary attention to security, stability, optimal
performance (still waaaay better than Windows, but that's not a fair
comparison since Windows is so terrible to begin with...  unfortunately
we've come to expect so little from software :(

People also disagree with *that* assessment.  But that's where the
cultures are so that's what the tendencies become.

> >   4. Don't know nothin' about MySQL...  It suffices to say the current/
> >      most stable version (at the time of production) of MySQL comes
> >      with many Linux distributions including Mandrake and probably RedHat.
>
> I've used mysql extensively with no problems.

I don't doubt -- MySQL is a widely used program... like for Slashdot...

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/