January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]

If you want security, the best tool for the job is OpenBSD.

It doesn't support multiple processors, and OpenBSD 2.7 was a bit limited in
RAID card selection, but 2.8 supports some commonly found vendor RAID cards
(Dell and Compaq), although my system has an ICP-Vortex.

If you want performance on Intel architecture, rumor has it FreeBSD is the
fastest (being optimized for Intel), so perhaps you may not want to move to
Linux.

Linux, as far as I can tell, is getting pretty good at having programs
written for it. Although OpenBSD (and perhaps other BSDs) do offer Linux
compatibility.

There are "secure" versions of Linux out there (Bastille hardening scripts
for Red Hat and now the NSA's version) but I think intensive proactive
source code audits is a pretty good mechanism.

--Adam