Re: [vox-tech] [john_zie_99@yahoo.com: help needed]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:27:03PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
>   1. In my experience, Mandrake is superior to RedHat in every way -- they
>      took RedHat and made it better and bundled with better/more software.
>      HOWEVER -- I've never tried RedHat *Professional*.

I've never tried Mandrake.  I do know that on numerous application
development mailing lists that all error reports from mandrake users
were regularly ignored.  They used a known broken pgcc compiler who's
strongest attestment to compiler functionality is that they hadn't found
a file that when compressed with the pgcc compiled gzip produced the
wrong file when gunziped.   No idea if things have improved since then.

>   2. Current versions of Mandrake and RedHat are 7.2 and 7.0,
>      respectively.  But RedHat 7.0 has been giving us a lot of problems
>      so it's probably better to use RedHat 6.2 than 7.0.  Mandrake
>      7.2 has also given some of us some problems but it seems to be
>      an occasional problem with certain shaky hardware.

I'm curious what problems you've had with rh7.0 and if it was patched.
I'm having better luck with rh7.0 then any older distributions I've
tried (once patched)

>   3. I'd think a BSD would be better for server purposes than Linux.
>      Have you tried OpenBSD?  That's what I'd go with personally.
>      Many argue Linux is just as good as BSD or better; I think each
>      has its strengths/weaknesses and we should make good use of it.

Have you quantified any differences?

>   4. Don't know nothin' about MySQL...  It suffices to say the current/
>      most stable version (at the time of production) of MySQL comes
>      with many Linux distributions including Mandrake and probably RedHat.

I've used mysql extensively with no problems.

--
Bill