Re: [vox-tech] perl question - variable holding a variable name

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 06:05:13PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Sometimes you obtain a variable name in a string, like in a variable
> called "$varname" (without the quotes) and you want to manipulate that
> variable.  This can happen if you're writing your own language (call it
> the "LUG" language), and you want LUG programs to be able to access the
> interpreter's variables directly.
[example snipped]

Okay, this make sense.

You can do almost the same thing using a global hash, though. I.e.,

#!/usr/bin/perl
%Vars = {}; # declare empty hash
 .
 .
 .
sub read_vars_from_string {
  while ($line = STDIN) {
    chomp $line;
    if ($line =~ m/\$([A-z]+) *= *([A-z0-9]+)/) # read declarations of form
                                                # $foo = bar
      { $Vars{$1} = $2; }
  }
}