Re: [vox-tech] [no linux] High voltage circuits?

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:

> Two different time scales are at work here... the thermal filament warm-up
> period, and the 60Hz ac time period.  Even if the thermal time constant is
> much shorter than one 60Hz cycle (which I doubt), an inductor probably
> won't be a practical solution.

Oh yeah... duh...

> Choosing a larger relay sounds more appropriate.

It sounds like that's the best solution.  But... what rating? I'm pretty
sure 220A relay would work -- but that sounds like kind of too much... and
where would I find such a beast?

Looking back at Bill [Broadley]'s postings, maybe I can crack open a
Clapper(tm) :)

> I haven't done it myself, so I can't say what the actual rating should
> be.  You are a student... see if you can get a storage oscilloscope and
> look at the current through the bulb as you light it. :)

What's a _storage_ oscilloscope?  I don't want to kill any oscilloscope...

> Might also consider a 40W bulb? or a flourescent bulb?

I'd rather go with standard light bulbs.

> I don't think the resistor is the right solution, since the bulb is
> designed for 120V, and the resistor solution creates a voltage divider.

Now I see that...  Live an learn.  I'm a student, after all :)

> Compression connections are best for power transmission.

What is that?

Thanks!

-Mark

---