Re: [vox-tech] hdparm

On Fri 16 Mar 01,  5:56 PM, Stephen M. Helms said:
> Thanks for the help Foo and Pete!  I was thinking there was a way to put it in
> lilo.conf as a boot param.  I guess not.

no -- these settings are services provided by linux via "ioctls".  calls
that implement hardware tasks which are anything but "read and write".

when you look at it this way, lilo can't set drive params because no
os exists (meaning, no syscalls, no ioctls).

> > > hdparm -c1m16u1X34W1 /dev/hda
> >
> > be careful if this is a pentium I system.
>
> This is a pentium I (75mhz, its my little libretto 50ct)  and I am trying to
> squeeze every bit out of it that I can. I can I test this reliably?  I rebuilt
> the kernel earlier today with these options and it seems to be working just
> fine :)  I shaved some more off the previous kernel (it is down to 680K
> uncompresses and 404K compressed).

there are EIDE chipsets that were around during the PI days.  the famous ones
are RZ1000 and the CMD-640.  there are more.  look at man hdparm, and find
the terms

massive filesystem corruption
severe filesystem corruption
corruption of data

you'll want to make sure you have a non-buggy chipset.  there are options in
the kernel to turn on safeguards but frankly, i wouldn't trust my filesystem
with this.  i'd just turn the optimization off.

pete

"Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org
       -- Kathryn Janeway on the virtues of coffee           www.dirac.org/p