Re: [vox-tech] debian help

Bill, you may need to install the module for your card first.  You can do
this by running modconf (may not be in your path if not root, mine's in
/usr/sbin/).  Select your card model from the 'net' list.

When that's done, the configuration is in /etc/network.  My newly
installed potato system has 3 files, but I think the only one that's
important for my setup is the 'interfaces' file.  The installer made my
file look like this:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
        address 172.16.0.3
        netmask 255.255.0.0
        network 172.16.0.0
        broadcast 172.16.255.255
        gateway 172.16.0.1

----- end of file ------

You'll probably also want some DNS server IPs in /etc/resolv.conf

Hope that helps,
-- Chris