Re: [vox-tech] compiling kernel's in debian? -- NOW piped tar

Re: [vox-tech] compiling kernel's in debian? -- NOW piped tar

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:49:00AM -0800, Mytho X wrote:
> > Then bzcat kernel-2.2.18pre21 | tar xvf -
>
> I've been wondering this for some time.
>
> Why the piped tar?

Some versions of tar ("Tar"? ;) ) don't support on-the-fly (b/g)unzip'ing

What I used to always do was:

  gunzip foo.tar.gz
  tar -xf foo.tar

of course, then I'm left with an uncompressed "tar", so I'd have to
eventually follow it up with:

  gzip foo.tar

if I wanted to keep the original archive around for later.
(Which I usually do :) )

Nowadays, when I install a piece of software, it's:

  % tar -xzf prog-1.00.tar.gz           # uncompress & open simultaneously
  % cd prog-1.00/                       # go inside installation dir
  % ./cofigure && make                  # configure.. make only if it succeeded
  % su                                  # switch to root user
  # make install                        # make the "install" target
  # cd ..                               # go back a directory
  # rm -rf prog-1.00/                   # kill the installation dir (all done!)
  # mv prog-1.00.tar.gz ~/done/         # root's homedir
  # exit                                # back to normal user

Or something like that.
(Looking at README's and INSTALL's can be useful, too ;) )