Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

every file has an owner and a group ownership

-rw-r--r--    1 root     admin          67 Dec  1 10:04 /etc/resolv.conf
                 ^        ^
              owner       group ownership

to change the group ownership of this file to hellokitty:

    chgrp hellokitty /etc/resolv.conf

to change the owner to damndog and group ownership to hellokitty, you can use
chown:

    chown damndog.hellokitty /etc/resolv.conf

i think colon works too.

    chown damndog:hellokitty /etc/resolv.conf

you can also use chown to change just the ownership as well:

    chown damndog /etc/resolv.conf

the rules over who can chown and chgrp are a little complicated.  best to do
this with root.

pete

--
"Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org