RE: Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

  • Subject: RE: Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users
  • From: "Deja User" <uMAPSnix_admin@my-deja.com>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:10:40 -0800

RE: A good Linux beginner's book: I had already passed the very beginning of my Linux
experience when I bought "Running Linux", an O'Reilly book (I got the 2nd ed. at about
1/2 price, which reminds me, usu. when an O'Reilly book is 1/2 price, it means they're
bringing out a newer version...). Though it may not specifically address the problem
you were having, it contains *a lot* of that kind of info. a newbie needs to
intelligently and easily dig beneath the Linux surface. A great book for beginners and
a good reference book thereafter. "Using Linux" (Que) is pretty good, too, esp. if you
run a Red Hat-based Linux.

>From: Larry Snyder <ldsnyder@dcn.davis.ca.us>
>To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
>Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users
>Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:41:57 +0000
>Cc: ldsnyder@dcn.davis.ca.us
>
>> 1. make /etc/resolv.conf world writable:   chmod ugo+rwx /etc/resolv.conf
>> 2. make a PPP connection as a normal user
>> 3. see if it works
>> 4. change resolv.conf back to rw-r--r--:   chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf
>
>Pete,
>
>     Yes, it works. That is, with the write permissions established, kppp
>does comment out the original file and put the temporary ns information there,
>just as it did when logged in as root before.
>
>     But since the important information of a hand-written file is sticking
>around (at least so far), there's no need to upset the kibbitzers.
>
>     By the way, can any recommend a good book which covers this
>sort of beginner's info -- what these config files do, how they get written,
>and where to find them -- as wel as basic maneuvering suggestions. Most
>entry-level book assume one will never have any need for console mode or
>term windows.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Larry

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--