Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:41:57AM +0000, Larry Snyder wrote:
> > 1. make /etc/resolv.conf world writable:   chmod ugo+rwx /etc/resolv.conf
> > 2. make a PPP connection as a normal user
> > 3. see if it works
> > 4. change resolv.conf back to rw-r--r--:   chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Pete,
>
>       Yes, it works. That is, with the write permissions established, kppp
> does comment out the original file and put the temporary ns information there,
> just as it did when logged in as root before.
>
>       But since the important information of a hand-written file is sticking
> around (at least so far), there's no need to upset the kibbitzers.
>
>       By the way, can any recommend a good book which covers this
> sort of beginner's info -- what these config files do, how they get written,
> and where to find them -- as wel as basic maneuvering suggestions. Most
> entry-level book assume one will never have any need for console mode or
> term windows.

There are a couple books in the LUGoD library that are targed at people like
you; you can borrow one or a few and see how useufl each is for you before
committing to buying one.

Also, most important files have their own man pages. For example, 'man
resolv.conf' will give you a description of /etc/resolv.conf in excruciating
detail.

--
Henry House